We are proud to announce our partnership with Ecologi, enabling Hattiers to become a climate positive workforce. In addition to planting our own woodland at Hattiers HQ, it is the next step closer for Hattiers Rum to become Net Carbon Zero.
We still have a long way to go however! Each day we are getting closer to our goal of Net Carbon Zero and to be 100% transparent en route!
Why are we not moving more quickly?
At Hattiers Rum, we buy aged rum from distilleries around the globe. This is part of what makes us who we are and how our rums taste as good as they do! We work hard to source the finest aged rums from a selection of the best rum distilleries around the world. This means our component rums are distilled and aged at the source distilleries in the Caribbean, Central America, Australia and so on. To make a claim of Carbon Neutrality & Net Carbon Zero now would simply be untrue. The oldest rums we source were distilled over a decade ago!
We are taking steps to reduce our carbon impact and offset the outstanding balance by:
- Analysing and reducing our carbon footprint in our blending production, office, workforce, and wholesale distribution channels. (Huge impact)
- Working with partners such as Ecologi to back transparent planting projects and offset our scope 1 & 2 carbon emissions to become sustainable.
- Beginning our lobbying of our supply chain to enhance best practice across our industry
- Being a leading voice in the Purpose of Business and using Business as a force fro good.
- Planting our own woodland on the estate where we are based with our bare hands!
- Engaging with our fellow B Corps to tackle carbon and plastic consumption in business and specifically in the drinks/hospitality industry.
- and continuing to challenge ourselves on how to be better.
Our next challenge are our Scope 3 emissions - all indirect emissions that occur in the value chain of the Hattiers Rum, including both upstream and downstream emissions. In other words, emissions that are linked to the Hattiers operations. This is a big task and we WILL get there.
The work has begun!